Customers may use the code AFSAV15 to receive a 15% discount off purchases of $50 or more at YogaAccessories.com (expires 10/15/09). We have recently added many new items including yoga jewelry and yoga apparel.
Yoga is for EVERY BODY!
Yoga classes are now being offered at FJKluth Art Gallery!
Beginners Yoga Classes: Mondays from 7-8:15 pm, Fridays from 6:30-7:45 pm
Yoga for Teens (ages 12-17): Thursdays from 7:15-8:30 pm
Yoga for Kids (ages 6-11): Saturdays from 2-3:15 pm
Please bring your own yoga mat, towel, or blanket to practice on. All classes are $10 per session. It is encouraged that you register ahead of time, but walk-ins are always welcome! Classes are held at 300 N. Water St. in Kent, Ohio at FJKluth Art Gallery. Other class times and private sessions are available upon request. Please contact Alecia Bernardo, Certified Yoga Teacher, at (216)-571-4461 or at for more information.
It is important to note that everyone, regardless of current physical state, can practice yoga. Poses can be modified so that they are safe or more comfortable to practice. If you do have a health condition, consult your doctor and let me know before we begin class. This way, I will be able to tell you ahead of time if we will be practicing any poses that may not be safe for you to do, and how to modify them. If a modification cannot be made, I will advise you to practice a restorative (resting pose) while the others try it.
In yoga, we honor our bodies. That means that if something hurts or causes pain, we come out of the pose immediately. There is a fine line between "discomfort" and "pain," and we must respect what our body tells us to know the difference.
Some Benefits of Regular Yoga Practice:
- Increased circulation
- Greater flexibility (mental and physical)
- Better Oxygenation of the blood
- Increased stamina and strength
- Helps release chronic tension
- Increased metabolic rate
- Decreased blood pressure
- Increased body efficiency
- Positively enhanced immune system
- Increased body awareness, which is linked to decreased illness and injury
- Body re-alignment and improved posture
- Decreased stress levels
- Increased mental clarity and concentration
- Greater ability to fall asleep
- Increased energy levels
- Positive sense of self
- Decreased obsessive thought patterns
- Greater acceptance of self
- Positive, happier outlook on life
- Supports other healthy lifestyle changes
- Greater emotional balance
- Unification of the body, mind, and spirit
Yoga is a scientific healing practice developed over 5,000 years ago in India, which helps to unite the body, mind, and spirit. There are 4 main parts of yoga:
- Yoga Postures (asanas)- these are what everybody thinks of when they think of yoga. They’re the physical movements that yogis practice for exercise, flexibility, increasing circulation, and nourishing body organs.
- Breathing Techniques (pranayama)- these involve specific breathing exercises which help us to control our breath, breathe more deeply, and balance energy throughout the body.
- Meditation- this helps us to develop concentration and inward focus, while allowing us to quiet our thoughts.
- Relaxation- this helps us to heal our bodies by activating the parasympathetic nervous system, especially during deep relaxation. This also can help us to overcome anxieties, fears, and inhibitions.
With the help of these wonderful techniques, we learn how to live a more balanced, happy life!
*This information is contained in the handouts from Jan Hauenstein’s 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training